Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Dragon Roll

So, I made a dragon roll, scratch that, a horrible downgraded version of a dragon roll. (crap basically) Originally, it's supposed to be sushi rice on the outside, nori on the inside, with unagi (eel), shrimp, cucumber (I think), and with avacado thinly sliced and fanned on the top drizzled with teriyaki sauce and roe.

Here is what a dragon roll should look taken from BBC's 4Food Channel.

I love Gordon Ramsay, by the way. So, here's what I made.(excuse the paper work)


Here's what it should more-or-less look like.


'nuff said, I'm going to go crawl under a rock. But with that said, it didn't taste too bad. It tasted good actually. Something about the creamy texture of avocados balances out with the taste of nori. I absolutely adore it. I'm going to appreciate my sushi a tad bit more.

I'm looking for arugula but for some reason, the farmer's market is always out of them. Nonetheless, I can still make a basil, mozzarella, grilled chicken and cherry tomato panini. And store-bought crisps are so overrated, so I'll make my own. I'm sticking with plantain crisps. Crisps are just so easy to make, take your peeler or a mandolin if you're fancy, and start shaving away. Canola oil, drop the strips in and you have freshly fried chips (I'm going to start baking them with olive oil). Lot cheaper and you know what's basically in it. So why do I use plantains? My boyfriend is Dominican and during the time when we first met, I went to his house and I saw a green plantain. I thought to myself, why would you eat a green plantain? How do they even look like? Well I think of it like a potato, its starchy, easily cut and you can do basically anything with it. I love em.

And .. a healthy snack, thats my goal each day. To squeeze in some horse food. Blueberry yogurt, with some bitter sweet chocolate and some bran on top (surprisingly good).

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, i am hispanic and i have realised not many people realize how diverse the plantain is and i really appreciate you mentioning it. Although, your cooking skills have a way to go before touching Gordon Ramsay it is a great looking dragon roll for this found lying around the house. Appreciate, that you took the advice and put up a video on how to make them lol. Keep up the work and can't wait to see your next creation. P.S. I would love it if you can do something with plantains, lol.)

    ReplyDelete